Sunday, January 31, 2016
IRB Post #3
For my third IRB, I have chosen to read the book The Unwanted: A Memoir of a Childhood. In this story, Kien Nguyen relives his ten years of childhood in Vietnam after Saigon fell to the Vietcong. Kien reveals all that he had to go through as a young boy including many kids viewing him as an outsider due to his mixed race, as well as many harsh racists remarks on a daily basis. I have chosen to read this book because it offers me a look into what it was like to be a kid with American blood during this time, and it is also the only memoir by an Amerasian who stayed behind in Vietnam after the fall of Saigon and who is now living in America. I hope to gain this knowledge because I view myself as a bit of a history geek, as you can tell since my past two reads have both related to World War II.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment